Malocclusions are improper alignments of your teeth and jaw. If your teeth are out of alignment, the chances of optimum oral health care can drop drastically. Straight teeth are much easier to clean than crooked teeth and they are less likely to cause you issues in the future.
Malocclusions can ruin your smile. Here are some of the most common types:
– Underbites, also sometimes denoted as bulldog teeth, consist of the lower incisors protruding our further than the upper incisors.
– Overbites, also sometimes denoted as upper protrusions, overjets, or buck teeth, consist of the upper incisors (front teeth) protruding our further than the lower incisors.
– Some malocclusions consist of overcrowded teeth. In this case, there is not enough space between each tooth, causing overlay between the teeth, with bends and curvatures often taking place. Spacing issues can also refer to too much space between the teeth, resulting in abnormally large gaps.
– Open bites are malocclusions that have disconnected top and bottom incisors when biting down.
– Crossbites are malocclusions that happen when the lower jawbone protrudes further out than the upper jawbone.
– Deep bites, also sometimes denoted as closed bites, consist of extreme forms of overbites in which the lower incisors bite into the area behind the upper incisors.
– Misplaced midlines are malocclusions that happen when the center of your incisors fails to properly line up with the center of your lower incisors.
– Several other types of malocclusions include extra or missing teeth, various types of rotation issues, and transposition malocclusions.
If you have a misalignment issue and are looking for orthodontic treatments, you can contact Wayne Family Orthodontics to schedule an appointment with Dr. Muhammad Abey. We can be reached by calling us at 973-341-3180 or stopping by our office in Wayne, New Jersey. It’s never too late to treat your smile!